Skip to Content
Heating & Air Conditioning Repair - Raleigh, Cary, Wake Forest and the Greater Triangle and Beaufort
We’re Hiring

What You Need to Know About Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Every home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled in large amounts. It is important to understand how to detect and prevent exposure to this gas in your home. This blog post will discuss the dangers of carbon monoxide and what you can do to make sure your home is safe from this dangerous gas.

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by burning fuel such as natural gas, propane, gasoline, oil, kerosene, coal, or wood. When these materials are burned in an enclosed space without proper ventilation, CO can build up and cause poisoning symptoms such as headache, dizziness, nausea, confusion and even death. The most dangerous aspect of carbon monoxide poisoning is that it can happen without warning since it is an odorless and colorless gas. That’s why it’s important to have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home.

Detecting Carbon Monoxide Leaks In Your Home

Carbon monoxide detectors are essential for detecting CO leaks in your home. These devices should be placed near bedrooms where people sleep so they will be alerted at the first signs of trouble. The detectors should also be tested regularly to make sure they are working properly and replaced every five years or sooner if needed. If a detector does go off, you should leave the house immediately and call 911 for help.

Carbon Monoxide Detector

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Exposure In Your Home

In addition to having a working carbon monoxide detector on each level of your home (including the basement), you can also take steps towards preventing carbon monoxide exposure by ensuring that all fuel-burning appliances are well maintained and vented properly according to local code regulations. Make sure chimneys are checked annually for blockages or creosote buildup that could lead to excess carbon monoxide production when heating equipment is used during colder months. Additionally, never use generators or other fuel-powered equipment inside the house; always use them outdoors where there is adequate ventilation and keep them away from windowsills or doorways where fumes could enter the house through cracks or openings around frames/seals/etc.. If you suspect there may be a problem with any of your fuel-burning appliances or equipment—such as a furnace—have them inspected by qualified professionals right away before continuing normal operation of these items in order to avoid potential problems with excessive levels of CO.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning can occur without warning due to its odorless and colorless properties; that’s why it’s important for homeowners to take the necessary steps towards prevention including having working carbon monoxide detectors on each level of their homes and ensuring fuel-burning appliances are well maintained according to local codes/regulations and vented properly outside with adequate ventilation away from windowsills or doorways where fumes could enter living spaces easily through cracks or openings around frames/seals/etc.. By following these simple yet effective preventive measures, homeowners can rest assured knowing their families will remain safe from potential risks associated with carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes!

Residential Heating and Air Conditioning Repair Service

Schedule an Appointment